Do I Need to Replace My Fireplace Glass?
With the bitter cold of winter now upon us, many homeowners look forward to taking the chill out of the air while adding ambiance to their living room setting by stoking the flames in their fireplace. Fireplaces are a central part of many living rooms and can serve both decorative and functional purposes. If you’re lucky enough to have a fireplace in your home, you know how relaxing and cozy it can be to sit in front of the fire on a chilly winter morning.
When you have a fireplace, keeping it in top operating condition is important. One of the most vital parts of your fireplace is the glass doors that protect your home from the blazing fire inside. Without the glass door on your fireplace, sparks could cause the fire to spread into your home. Heat-resistant glass fireplace doors keep the sparks inside the firebox while allowing you a great view of the flames. However, these glass doors don’t last forever. You will need to replace them when they age to ensure the function and safety of your fireplace.
But how do you know it’s time to replace your fireplace glass?
Signs You Need to Replace the Glass in your Fireplace Doors.
Generally, it’s a good practice to inspect your fireplace doors regularly to identify signs that the fire glass needs replacement. Ultimately, it’s better (and safer) to replace the glass before it cracks instead of waiting until the glass breaks, leaving your fireplace as a non-operational eyesore.
Look for these signs that you should replace the door glass:
- Cracks – Cracks in your fireplace glass are an obvious sign that they need to be replaced. Cracks dangerously weaken the glass of your fireplace doors, often rendering them useless as they are one bump away from shattering completely.
- Scratches – Even if your glass hasn’t developed major cracks, something as minor as a scratch can indicate the need for glass replacement. Most fireplace doors are manufactured with tempered glass. Which can be weakened by even tiny scratches. A single scratch can quickly lead to spiderweb cracks or a totally broken door, especially in homes with pets or kids, where accidents are more common.
- Old – The glass in your fireplace door isn’t built to last forever. Although heat-resistant glass is made to withstand high temperatures from fire, prolonged exposure to heat does weaken the glass over time. If you can’t remember the last time you replaced your fireplace glass, or you know they are very old, it may be time to consider replacement before they ultimately fail.
- Discoloration or Soot Build-Up – With use and age, your fireplace glass will discolor and build up soot. Regular cleaning can help make the glass look cleaner, but continual exposure to soot will eventually cause irreversible discoloration. When this occurs, the discoloration of the tempered glass makes it hard to see the flames and makes your doors look dirty.
- Outdated Style – Even if the condition of your fire glass is good, you still may not care for the style. You may not like the way the glass makes your fireplace look, or you may feel the style of the fireplace glass is outdated or doesn’t match your current interior aesthetic.
If you don’t like the look of the glass in your fireplace doors, it’s old, cracked, or scratched, you may wonder, can I get the glass replaced on my fireplace? The answer is YES! You can replace fireplace glass! Whatever the reason, if you are considering replacing your fireplace glass, the fireplace door specialists at Dick’s Rancho Glass can help.
We provide pyroceram fireplace glass (transparent ceramic for your woodstove or fireplace) or tempered fireplace glass cut-to-order. At Dick’s Rancho Glass, glass shop professionals can help you choose the best replacement glass for your fireplace. We have many years of experience in fireplace glass replacement and are happy to serve homeowners throughout the Sacramento Area. To learn more about tempered heat-resistant glass or pyroceram fire glass check out our fireplace glass page, give us a call, click Dick’s Rancho Glass to contact us, or visit one of our two glass showrooms in the Sacramento region:
Dick’s Rancho Glass Sacramento at 2900 ROUTIER ROAD
Or call us at (916)363-6554
Dick’s Rancho Glass Fair Oaks at 5349 SAN JUAN AVE.
Or call us at (916)863-2500
~ At Dick’s Rancho Glass our versatility and pride of craftsmanship are keys to our success. Our excellent reputation has been built on the foundations of quality, reliability, and maintaining a dedicated staff. ~